Cherry Rice Cream
Creamy rice pudding served topped with a cherry sauce laced with crème de cassis.
3/4 cup uncooked rice
1/4 cup granulated sugar
4 cups milk
1/3 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
1 large egg yolk, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup whipping cream, whipped
1 (16-ounce) can pitted black Bing cherries with liquid
2 tablespoons crème de cassis (black currant liqueur)
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon water
- Combine rice, sugar and milk in large saucepan. Bring to a boil; simmer uncovered, stirring frequently, 30 to 35 minutes or until thick and creamy.
- Remove from heat; gradually stir in pecans, egg yolk, and vanilla. Cool to room temperature.
- Fold in whipped cream; cover and refrigerate.
- Combine cherries and liquid with liqueur in small saucepan; simmer, stirring, 5 minutes.
- Dissolve cornstarch in water; add to saucepan and cook, stirring, 1 minute or until thickened.
- Serve rice cream in shallow serving dish topped with cherry mixture.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of the USA Rice Federation.