Cherry Rice Cream
Individual, orange-scented vanilla rice pudding molds studded with cherries and served topped with cherry sauce.
3 cups cooked rice
3 cups milk
2 tablespoons grated orange peel
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1 envelope (1 tablespoon) unflavored gelatin
2 tablespoons cold water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 (16-ounce) can tart pitted cherries (drain; reserve liquid)
2 large egg whites, stiffly beaten*
Cherry Sauce (recipe follows)
- Combine rice, milk, orange peel and sugar. Cook over medium heat 20 to 25 minutes, or until thick and creamy, stirring occasionally.
- Soften gelatin in cold water. Stir into pudding mixture. Add vanilla and drained cherries. Remove from heat and chill until partially set.
- Fold in beaten egg whites.
- Pour into 2-quart mold or individual molds. Chill until set.
- To serve, unmold and top with Cherry Sauce.
- For Cherry Sauce: Combine liquid drained from cherries with 1 tablespoon cornstarch. Cook and stir until slightly thickened. Cool and serve over Cherry Rice Cream. A little sugar may be added if cherries are not sweet enough.
Makes 6 servings.
*We suggest using a pasteurized egg white product for this recipe.
Recipe provided courtesy of the USA Rice Federation.