For a special occasion breakfast or brunch, serve these chocolaty waffles topped with sweetened strawberries and whipped cream. For dessert, serve them topped with vanilla ice cream and chocolate syrup.
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup unsweetened baking cocoa
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 cups buttermilk
1/2 cup melted butter
2 large eggs, separated
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/4 cup finely chopped pecans (optional)
Sweetened sliced strawberries
Sweetened whipped cream
Vanilla ice cream
- For Waffles: In large bowl combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and sugar. Make a well in center of dry ingredients.
- In a separate bowl mix buttermilk, oil, egg yolks, and vanilla. Pour into the well and mix with dry ingredients.
- Beat egg whites with cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Gradually fold into batter. Fold in pecans, if desired.
- Cook in waffle iron according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- Top with desired accompaniments.
Makes 4 large waffles.