Chocolate Almond Ice Cream
Cool, creamy homemade chocolate ice cream with bits toasted almonds in every luscious bite.
2 cups granulated sugar
2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
1/8 teaspoon salt
8 cups light cream or half-and-half - divided use
6 squares (1 ounce each) unsweetened chocolate
2 large eggs, beaten
4 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup chopped toasted almonds
- In a large saucepan combine sugar, gelatin, and salt. Stir in half of light cream or half-and-half. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture almost boils and the sugar dissolves.
- Add chocolate and cook until melted. Beat with a rotary beater until smooth.
- Stir about 1 cup of the hot mixture into beaten eggs; return all of the mixture to saucepan. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Cool.
- Stir in remaining cream, vanilla and toasted almonds.
- Freeze in a 4 or 5-quart ice cream freezer according to manufacturer's directions.
Makes 24 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.