Chocolate Citrus Freeze
The cool, creamy combination of chocolate mousse and ice cream with a crunchy chocolate cookie crust makes this delicious dessert a perfect choice to serve when the temperature is soaring outside. It makes a terrific dessert for backyard barbecues—plus you can also opt to use other flavors of ice cream (or sherbet), too!
1 3/4 cups (11.5 ounce package) NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Milk Chocolate Morsels - divided use
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup finely crushed chocolate wafer cookies (about 16 cookies)
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1 3/4 cups heavy whipping cream - divided use
4 tablespoons powdered sugar
1 1/2 cups lowfat orange sherbet ice cream, softened slightly
- Microwave 1 1/4 cups morsels and 3/4 cup cream in medium, uncovered, microwave-safe bowl on MEDIUM-HIGH (70%) power for 1 minute; STIR. Morsels may retain some of their original shape. If necessary, microwave at additional 10- to 15-second intervals, stirring just until smooth. Stir in vanilla extract. Cool to room temperature.
- Line 9x5x3-inch loaf pan with 2 overlapping sheets of plastic wrap, allowing 4-inch overhang on all sides.
- Combine crushed cookies and butter in medium bowl. Press onto bottom of prepared loaf pan.
- Beat 3/4 cup cream and powdered sugar in small chilled mixer bowl until stiff peaks form. Carefully fold whipped cream into chocolate mixture until blended. Spoon half of chocolate mousse (about 1 1/2 cups) over cookie layer; smooth top. Freeze for 2 hours or until very firm. Cover and refrigerate remaining chocolate mousse.
- Spoon sherbet over frozen chocolate layer; smooth top. Freeze for 2 hours or until very firm.
- Spoon remaining chocolate mousse over sherbet layer; smooth top. Freeze for 2 hours or until very firm.
- Microwave remaining 1/2 cup morsels and remaining 1/4 cup cream in small, uncovered, microwave-safe bowl on MEDIUM-HIGH (70%) power for 1 minute; STIR. If necessary, microwave at additional 10- to 15-second intervals, stirring just until smooth. Cool for 10 minutes. Spread evenly over mousse layer. Freeze for 4 hours or overnight.
Makes 12 servings.
Note: Full freezing time is necessary. Each layer must be frozen solid before topped with the next layer for a clean result.
- May be layered with other flavors of sherbet or ice cream.
- To cut slices more easily, run hot water over knife blade and dry prior to cutting.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/12 of recipe): Calories: 380 Calories from Fat: 230 Total Fat: 26 g Saturated Fat: 16 g Cholesterol: 60 mg Sodium: 90 mg Carbohydrates: 38 g Dietary Fiber: 0 g Sugars: 30 g Protein: 4 g.
Recipe and photograph are the property of Nestlé® and Meals.com, used with permission.