A decadent dessert, this richly dense chocolate cake is served with a silky-smooth, coffee-spiked crème anglaise.
1 (8-ounce) box NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Unsweetened Chocolate Baking Bars, broken into pieces
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
3 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons powdered sugar
Coffee Crème Anglaise Sauce:
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon TASTER'S CHOICE® 100% Pure Instant Coffee
1 1/2 cups milk
4 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- For Cake: Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease a 9-inch springform pan.
- Microwave baking bars in a medium, microwave-safe bowl on HIGH power for 1 minute; stir. Microwave at additional 10 to 20-second intervals, stirring until smooth; cool to lukewarm.
- Beat sugar, butter, eggs and vanilla extract in small mixing bowl for about 4 minutes or until thick and pale yellow. Beat in melted chocolate. Gradually beat in flour. Spread into prepared springform pan.
- Bake for 25 to 28 minutes (wooden pick inserted in center will be moist). Cool in pan on wire rack for 15 minutes. Remove side of pan; cool completely. Sprinkle with powdered sugar; serve with Coffee Crème Anglaise Sauce.
- For Coffee Crème Anglaise Sauce: Combine sugar and coffee granules in a medium saucepan; stir in milk. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes just to a simmer. Remove from heat. Gradually whisk half of hot milk mixture into egg yolks; return mixture to saucepan. Cook, stirring constantly, for 3 to 4 minutes or until mixture is slightly thickened. Strain into small bowl; stir in vanilla extract. Cover with plastic wrap; refrigerate.
Makes 12 servings.
Recipe and photograph are the property of Nestlé® and Meals.com, used with permission.