Chocolate Mint Ice Cream Squares
Chocolate ice cream, infused with creme de menthe, is sandwiched between a chocolate-oat crumb crust and crumble topping.
1 1/2 cups quick or old fashioned oats
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/3 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 quart chocolate ice cream, slightly softened
2 tablespoons creme de menthe liqueur or 1/4 teaspoon mint extract
1 cup non-dairy whipped topping, thawed
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease or spray 2 (8 or 9-inch) square baking pans with cooking spray.
- In large bowl, combine oats, flour, cocoa and brown sugar; add melted butter and mix well (mixture will be crumbly).
- Crumble 2/3 cup of the oat mixture into one pan for the topping.
- Press remaining oat mixture firmly onto the bottom of second pan for crust.
- Place both pans in oven and bake 11 to 12 minutes. Place pans on wire rack; cool completely.
- In a large bowl, combine ice cream and liqueur, mixing well.
- Spoon ice cream mixture evenly over cooled crust. Spread the whipped topping over ice cream.
- Sprinkle evenly with baked topping. Cover and freeze until firm, at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Remove dessert from freezer 10 to 15 minutes before serving. Cut into squares. Store tightly covered in freezer.
Makes 9 servings.