Chocolate Swirl Cheesecake
An exquisite cheesecake with swirls of chocolate in a chocolate wafer crumb crust.
20 (1/2 of 9 ounce package) plain chocolate wafer cookies
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, melted
3 tablespoon granulated sugar
3 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, room temperature
1 cup sour cream
1 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoon all-purpose flour
3 large eggs
2 tablespoon crème de cacao liqueur (optional)
1 package (6 ounces) semi-sweet chocolate chips, melted
6 ounces bittersweet chocolate
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1/3 cup water
1 cup whipping cream
Sugar to taste
- For Crust: Process cookies in food processor or crush into fine crumbs with rolling pin. Add butter and sugar; process 30 seconds. Press crumb mixture evenly on bottom of 8 1/2 or 9-inch springform pan. Chill while preparing filling.
- For Filling: In a large mixing bowl, beat together cream cheese, sour cream, sugar and flour for 1 minute. Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition. Fold in liqueur. Pour filling into springform pan. Drop melted chocolate by spoonfuls on top of filing. Draw a table knife through cheesecake batter distributing chocolate throughout.
- Bake in a 350°F (175°C) oven for about 55 minutes until the top is puffed and cracked around the edges and the center moves just slightly when pan is moved. Cool in pan on a wire rack. Cover with plastic wrap, chill overnight in the refrigerator.
- Remove sides from cheesecake pan; place cheesecake on a wire rack over waxed paper.
- For Optional Glaze: Melt bittersweet chocolate and butter together in a small saucepan over low heat. Whisk in powdered sugar and water until smooth. Pour warm glaze over cheesecake, smoothing with a knife to cover completely. Chill for 2 hours.
- For Garnish: In a chilled, non-plastic bowl, whip cream for 2 to 3 minutes until stiff peaks form, adding sugar to taste. Using a pastry tube, pipe a frill around base of cake. Refrigerate until serving time.
Makes 12 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.