Classic, New York-style cheesecake with a zwieback cracker crumb crust.
1/2 cup finely crushed zwieback crackers
2 tablespoons butter, melted
2 tablespoons plus 1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 (8-ounce) packages plus 1 (3-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 large egg yolks
1 cup light cream or half-and-half
4 large egg whites
- For Crust: In mixing bowl, combine zwieback crumbs, melted butter, and 2 tablespoons sugar; mix well. Press mixture onto bottom of a 9-inch springform pan.
- For Filling: In a large mixing bowl, beat cream cheese with an electric mixer on high speed until fluffy; beat in vanilla.
- In a small bowl, combine 1/2 cup sugar, flour, and salt; gradually beat into cream cheese mixture. Add egg yolks; beat well. Add light cream or half-and-half and beat until well-combined.
- Wash beaters.
- In clean mixing bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; gently fold into cream cheese mixture.
- Pour mixture over the crumb layer in springform pan.
- Bake at 325°F (160°C) for 50 to 55 minutes or until done.
- Cool on wire rack for 15 minutes; loosen sides of cheesecake with spatula. Cool 30 minutes more; remove sides of pan. Cool completely before serving.
- Store, covered, in refrigerator.
Makes 12 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.