Coconut Creme Caramel
Similar to the classic desserts, flan and creme caramel, this version is laced with a kiss of coconut.
1/2 cup granulated sugar
4 large eggs
1/2 cup whole milk
1 1/2 cups coconut milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 300°F (150°C). Have 4 small ramekins set out and ready to use.
- Place 1/4 cup sugar in a small, heavy bottomed saucepan and turn the heat to medium-high. Cook, shaking the pan occasionally, until the sugar melts and turns a nice shade of brown. Immediately pour it into 4 small ramekins, swirling to distribute.
- Combine the remaining 1/4 cup sugar with the eggs and whisk until well dissolved. Add the milks and vanilla; whisking to combine.
- Place the ramekins in a baking pan containing about 1/2-inch of water, then pour one quarter of the milk mixture into each ramekin. Cover the pan tightly with aluminum foil, then bake for about 45 minutes or until the custards are just set on the outside but slightly jiggly in the middle.
- Remove the ramekins from the baking pan, allow to cool to room temperature and then chill.
- To serve, run a knife around the edge of each of the custards, then invert onto plates.
Makes 4 servings.