Coffee Date Rice Cream
Creamy rice pudding, studded with bits of sweet date, and topped with a fluffy, coffee-flavored meringue.
5 large eggs, separated
3 cups milk
3 cups cooked rice
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt - divided use
6 tablespoons butter or margarine
1/2 pound chopped dates
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
6 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons instant coffee
- Beat egg yolks slightly; stir in milk, rice, brown sugar, 1/4 teaspoon salt, butter and dates. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened. Pour into greased, shallow baking pan or pans.
- Combine sugar, coffee and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Beat egg whites until frothy. Add sugar mixture gradually and beat until egg whites are stiff but not dry.
- Spread meringue over pudding.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°F) for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm or cold.
Makes 12 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of the USA Rice Federation.