Cranberry-Apricot Custard Tart
A festive tart with a creamy, vanilla-infused custard with bits of fresh cranberries and dried apricots.
2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon granulated sugar
3/4 cup butter, chilled, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
4 large eggs - divided use
1 tablespoon ice water
1 cup milk
1/2 cup whipping cream
1 vanilla bean, halved
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 cup chopped cranberries
1 cup chopped dried apricots
2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, salt and first addition of sugar. Make a well in the center and add butter, 1 egg and ice water. Stir until a dough is formed; wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- On a floured surface, roll dough out large enough to fit the bottom and over the sides of a 9-inch springform pan. Place dough in pan (without stretching) and allow dough to hang over sides by 3/4-inch. Fold under and crimp to make a neat edge. Place a piece of parchment paper on the bottom and fill with either pie weights or dried beans. Bake for 10 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove parchment paper and pie weights and cool.
- Meanwhile, combine milk and cream in a medium saucepan. Add vanilla bean and bring to a simmer. Remove from heat and set aside to cool. When cool, remove vanilla bean; whisk in remaining eggs and sugar.
- Sprinkle cranberries and apricots over prepared crust. Pour egg mixture over the top and bake for 40 minutes, or until set. Cool before removing the sides of the pan. Sprinkle top with powdered sugar.
Makes 12 servings.