Doughnut Bread Pudding
Decadently rich bread pudding made with day-old glazed doughnuts.
4 stale glazed doughnuts
1/2 cup raisins or other dried fruit
2 large eggs (room temperature)
1 1/2 cups heavy cream or 1 (12-ounce) can evaporated milk
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
1 teaspoon grated orange zest
2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°F).
- Lightly grease an 8 or 9-inch square glass baking dish.
- Tear the doughnuts into bite size pieces.
- Place doughnuts pieces and raisins in the prepared baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, use an electric mixer to blend together the eggs, cream, sugar, vanilla and almond extract. Mix in the cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Pour the milk mixture over the doughnut/raisin mixture in the dish, and press down lightly to help absorption. Let stand 15 minutes, or cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Place the baking dish inside a larger baking dish, and fill the outer dish with enough water to go about halfway up the sides.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Serve warm.
Makes 6 servings.