If you're a big fan of flan, then this cheesecake is just what you've been waiting for! Berries or whipped cream would make a great garnish for this elegant dessert.
12 tablespoons granulated sugar - divided use
5 large egg yolks
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1 (12-ounce) can evaporated milk
2/3 cup water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In a heavy skillet, melt 10 tablespoons of the sugar over medium heat to a light brown syrup, 5 to 10 minutes. Stir or shake saucepan repeatedly. Pour immediately into a 9-inch baking dish or a flan pan; set aside.
- In a small bowl slightly beat egg yolks; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat cream cheese until light and fluffy. Gradually add egg yolks. Stir in sweetened condensed milk, evaporated milk, water, remaining 2 tablespoons of the sugar, vanilla and salt.
- Pour cream mixture over the melted sugar and set the baking dish in a larger pan filled with hot water to 1/2-inch from the top. Bake 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 hours. Cool completely before serving.
Makes 8 servings.