Fresh Strawberry Buttermilk Shortcake
Fresh strawberry shortcakes—comfort food for spring and summer!
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
2 large eggs - divided use
2 pint baskets fresh California strawberries, stemmed and sliced
1 cup whipping cream, whipped and sweetened
- In large bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- In small bowl blend buttermilk, lemon peel, 1 whole egg and 1 egg yoke. Stir into flour mixture to make a soft dough.
- Divide dough into 6 equal portions. On floured board pat each into a 3-inch circle. Place on greased baking sheet. Brush generously with remaining egg whites, beaten. Sprinkle generously with additional sugar.
- Bake in 450°F (230°C) oven 10 to 12 minutes until golden. Remove from pan; cool on rack.
- Sweeten strawberries, to taste.
- Slice each shortcake in half horizontally with a sharp knife. Fill and garnish with strawberries and whipped cream.
Makes 6 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): 450 calories; 8g protein; 25g fat; 50g carbohydrate; 102mg cholesterol.
Recipe provided courtesy of California Strawberry Commission. ©2003 California Strawberry Commission. All rights reserved. Used with permission.