Fried Ice Cream
Fried ice cream is one the most requested desserts served in Mexican restaurants in the United States—one taste of this sweet confection and you'll know why.
1 cup finely crushed corn flakes
1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 quart vanilla ice cream
1 large egg, beaten
2 tablespoons milk
Vegetable oil for frying
Chocolate sauce for accompaniment
Strawberry sauce for accompaniment
Sweetened whipped cream for accompaniment
Chocolate shavings for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- For topping, combine corn flakes, coconut and brown sugar on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake for 7 to 8 minutes, stirring halfway through baking time, or until lightly browned. (Watch closely to prevent burning.) Set aside to cool.
- Scoop vanilla ice cream into 4 large balls, or cut into 4 squares (size depends on your preference). Freeze the ice cream balls or squares until firm.
- Whisk egg and milk together. Dip ice cream in egg wash and roll in topping to coat well. Freeze again until firm.
- When ready to serve, heat oil to 360°F (180°C) in deep fryer.
- Take 1 ice cream ball/square out of freezer at a time. Fry for just a few seconds. Remove immediately and drain on paper towels.
- To serve, drizzle fried ice cream with chocolate or strawberry sauce, place a dollop of sweetened whipped cream on top and garnish with chocolate shavings.
Makes 4 servings.