Gelatin Jewel Dessert
Bright and colorful cubes of fruit-flavored gelatin give the impression of glittering jewels in this cool and refreshing dessert.
1 (3.25-ounce) package lime gelatin
1 (3.25-ounce) package orange gelatin
2 (3.25-ounce each) packages strawberry gelatin - divided use
4 cups boiling water - divided use
2 cups cold water - divided use
1 (8-ounce) tub nondairy whipped topping, thawed - divided use
- Prepare lime, orange and one package of the strawberry gelatins in 3 separate bowls as directed on packages, using 1 cup of the boiling water and 1/2 cup of the cold water for each flavor.
- Pour each flavored gelatin into a separate 8-inch square pan. Refrigerate until firm. Cut gelatin into 1/2-inch cubes.
- Measure out 1 1/2 cups gelatin cubes from each flavor for a total of 4 1/2 cups. (Remaining gelatin cubes can be used for snacking, if desired.)
- Add the remaining 1 cup boiling water to the remaining package of strawberry gelatin; stir until completely dissolved. Stir in remaining 1/2 cup cold water. Refrigerate until slightly thickened (the consistency of unbeaten egg whites). Fold in half of the whipped topping and the 4 1/2 cups gelatin cubes; stir gently until well blended. Pour into 9x5x3-inch pan which has been sprayed with cooking spray.
- Refrigerate until firm, about 4 hours. Unmold.
- Pipe remaining whipped topping on dessert to garnish, if desired. Cut into slices to serve. Store in refrigerator.
Makes 10 servings.