Giant Ice Cream Sandwich
Creamy vanilla ice cream is sandwiched between two layers of chewy, homemade chocolate brownie topped with a crunchy peanut butter-oat crumble.
1/3 cup quick or old fashioned oats
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons brown sugar, firmly packed
1/3 cup peanut butter
1 tablespoon butter
1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup quick or old fashioned oats
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup butter
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large eggs
1 quart vanilla ice cream, slightly softened
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Line 2 (9-inch) round cake pans with aluminum foil, allowing foil to extend over sides of pans. Grease with vegetable shortening or spray with cooking spray.
- For Topping: In a large bowl, combine oats, flour and brown sugar; using a pastry cutter, cut in peanut butter and butter until mixture is crumbly; set aside.
- For Brownies: In a medium bowl, combine flour, oats, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, melt chocolate chips and butter over low heat, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; cool slightly.
- Stir in sugar and vanilla into chocolate mixture; add eggs and mix well. Stir in flour mixture and mix well.
- Divide batter evenly between prepared pans. Sprinkle with reserved topping.
- Bake for 20 to 22 minutes for 9-inch pan, or just until center of brownie is set. Cool completely in pans on wire rack.
- To Assemble Ice Cream Sandwich: Spread softened ice cream evenly over one brownie while still in pan. Lift second brownie out of pan; remove foil. With topping side up, place brownie on top of ice cream, pressing gently. Cover and freeze several hours or overnight. Remove from freezer 10 to 15 minutes before cutting. Lift from pan using foil edges. Remove foil; cut into wedges. Store in freezer.
Makes 12 servings.