Gingerbread with Lemon Curd Mousseline
Fill your home with the holiday aroma of gingerbread baking, then serve your guests this comforting dessert topped with a luscious lemon curd and whipped cream topping.
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 cup molasses
Scant 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1 tablespoon baking soda
1 cup boiling water
Lemon Curd Mousseline:
9 large egg yolks
3 large whole eggs
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup lemon juice
2 cups heavy cream
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease a 13x9x2-inch baking pan; set aside.
- For Gingerbread: Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy, add molasses.
- In another bowl, whisk together flour and spices.
- Put the baking soda in a two cup measuring glass and add 1 cup boiling water.
- Add flour mixture and baking soda/water alternately to creamed mixture, mixing well. Turn into prepared pan.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until tested done when wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Serve warm or cool with the Lemon Curd Mousseline.
- For Lemon Curd Mousseline: Place egg yolks, eggs, 1 cup sugar and lemon juice in a double boiler and cook over simmering water. Stir with spatula to start, switch to whisk as it thickens. Place plastic wrap over custard and cool to room temperature. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Whip the cream with 3 tablespoons sugar. Fold whipped cream into cooled lemon curd. Serve with the gingerbread.
Makes 12 servings.