Golden Apple Meringues
Apple halves, poached in apple juice, are filled with orange marmalade and topped with fluffy meringue laced with toasted chopped almonds.
2 (about 3/4 pound) Golden Delicious or Rome Beauty apples, cored and halved
2 cups apple juice or water
1/2 cup orange marmalade
2 large egg whites
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 tablespoons chopped, toasted almonds
- Poach apples in apple juice about 5 to 7 minutes or until barely tender; drain.
- Spoon 2 tablespoons marmalade into center of each apple half.
- Beat egg white to soft peaks. Add sugar gradually; beat until stiff. Fold in almonds.
- Cover tops of apple halves to edges with meringue.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°F) for 7 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe courtesy of Washington Apple Commission.