A cinnamon-scented apple and graham torte layered with a simple whipped cream fillng and topping, sprnkled with finely chopped toasted nuts. An impressive dessert perfect for fall entertaining.
1 cup unsalted butter
1 cup granulated sugar
3 large eggs
2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
2 cups peeled, cored and diced apples
1 cup walnuts or pecans, toasted* and finely chopped - divided use
Whipped Cream Filling and Topping:
1 cup whipping cream
2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease two 8-inch cake pans; set aside.
- For Cake: Combine butter and sugar in a large bowl and beat until fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time; beat well after each addition.
- In another bowl, combine graham cracker crumbs, flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt; mix well. In alternating additions, add flour mixture and milk to the creamed mixture, scraping well after each addition. Fold in apples and 3/4 cups nuts; mix well.
- Spread batter into prepared cake pans.
- Bake for 30 to 45 minutes or until center comes out clean when inserted with a wooden pick. Remove from oven, let cool for about 10 minutes, then remove from pans to cool further. With a bread knife or other long serrated knife, trim tops of layers to make them level.
- Whipped Cream Filling and Topping: Beat cream and powdered sugar until stiff peaks form; spread over whichever cake layer you decide should be the bottom; stack the top layer on top and frost it. Then frost the sides as well, smoothing out the top edges as necessary. Sprinkle remaining nuts on top.
- Refrigerate for 2 hours before serving.
Makes 12 servings.
*To toast nuts, place in a shallow baking pan. Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°C) for 10 to 15 minutes or until nuts are lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Cool.