A lemon-scented cheesecake-like filling is sandwiched between a brown sugar shortbread crust and a crumble topping.
1/3 cup butter
1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
1 cup sifted all-purpose flour
1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese
1 large egg
2 tablespoons milk
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add flour and walnuts; mix to make a crumb mixture. Reserve 1 cup for topping. Press remaining crumbs into bottom of baking pan. Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°C) for 12 minutes; cool.
- Meanwhile, blend sugar with cream cheese. Add remaining ingredients and beat thoroughly.
- When crust is cool, spread cream cheese mixture over it. Top with remaining crumbs.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°C) for 25 minutes.
- Cool and cut into squares.
Makes 12 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.