Honey Spoonbread with Sliced Strawberries
Recipe courtesy of California Strawberry Commission.
2 cups half-and-half
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
1/4 cup honey
6 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 1/2 tablespoons yellow cornmeal
4 large eggs, separated
1 teaspoon baking powder
3 cups (about 1 pound) strawberries, stem medium and sliced
Vanilla ice cream (optional)
Whipped cream (optional)
- To make spoon bread, preheat oven to 325°F (160°C).
- In saucepan, bring half-and-half, butter, honey, 2 tablespoons of the sugar and salt just to a boil. Remove from heat; whisk in cornmeal.
- Transfer to mixing bowl; cool, whisking occasionally. When cooled, whisk in egg yolks and baking powder.
- In mixer bowl, beat egg whites at medium-high speed to soft peaks; fold into egg yolk mixture.
- Pour into 1 1/2-quart shallow baking dish. Bake about 1 hour or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool 15 minutes; cut into 6 servings.
- Meanwhile, sweeten sliced strawberries to taste with remaining sugar.
- Place each serving of warm spoon bread in a shallow bowl and top with 1/2 cup sliced strawberries. Top with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of California Strawberry Commission. Used with permission.