Key Lime Cheesecake
A delicious cheesecake version of the classic Florida pie.
1 cup graham cracker crumbs
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup butter or margarine, melted
1 cup lime juice
1/4 cup water
2 (0.25-ounce) envelopes unflavored gelatin
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
5 large eggs, slightly beaten
1 tablespoon grated lime peel
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
2 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup whipping cream
Sweetened whipped cream
- For Crust: Stir together all crust ingredients in medium bowl. Press on bottom of 9-inch springform pan; set aside.
- For Filling: Combine lime juice and water in 2-quart saucepan; sprinkle with gelatin. Let stand 5 minutes to soften. Add sugar, eggs and lime peel. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture just comes to a boil (7 to 8 minutes). DO NOT BOIL. Set aside.
- Combine butter and cream cheese in large mixer bowl. Beat at medium speed, gradually adding hot lime mixture and scraping bowl often, until well mixed (1 to 2 minutes). Refrigerate, stirring occasionally, until cool (about 45 minutes).
- Beat whipping cream in chilled small mixer bowl at high speed, scraping bowl often, until stiff peaks form (3 to 4 minutes). Fold into lime mixture. Pour into prepared crust. Cover; refrigerate until firm (3 to 4 hours). Loosen side of cheesecake from pan by running knife around inside of pan.
- Garnish top of cheesecake with whipped cream and lime slices, if desired.
Makes 12 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/12 of recipe): Calories: 460, Fat: 33 g, Cholesterol: 180 mg, Sodium: 330 mg, Carbohydrates: 37 g, Dietary Fiber: 0 g, Protein: 7 g.