Light and refreshing kiwifruit sherbet is a wonderful way to end a meal.
3/4 cup granulated sugar - divided use
1/4 cup water
2 large egg whites
3 to 4 California kiwifruit
1 1/2 cups lemon-lime carbonated beverage
1/4 cup lime juice
- Combine 1/2 cup sugar and water. Bring to boil; stir until sugar dissolves. Boil, covered, over medium heat 5 minutes.
- Beat egg whites until stiff; gradually add remaining 1/4 cup sugar.
- Slowly pour hot syrup into whites; beat constantly until mixture has cooled.
- Pare and purée kiwifruit to measure 3/4 cup.
- Gradually beat lemon-lime beverage, kiwifruit purée and lime juice into egg-white mixture. Freeze partially.
- Spoon mixture into chilled mixer bowl and beat with chilled beaters until mixture is light and foamy. Return to freezer and freeze until firm.
Makes about 6 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of California Kiwifruit Commission.