Kiwifruit Stacks with Cinnamon Mascarpone
Recipe courtesy of ZESPRI™ Kiwifruit.
4 to 6 ZESPRI™ Green Kiwifruit
1/3 cup orange juice
1 tablespoon grated orange zest
1/4 cup mascarpone cheese
1 teaspoon honey
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Peel and slice the kiwifruit into rounds. Sprinkle orange juice and zest over kiwifruit; set aside.
- Stir mascarpone, honey and cinnamon together until blended; set aside.
- Place kiwifruit on serving plate. Spoon 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon mascarpone over kiwifruit and sprinkle with additional cinnamon, if desired. Repeat layering two times ending with kiwifruit.
Makes 4 servings.
Note: Mascarpone, a key ingredient in tiramisu and zabaglione, is a velvety soft, slightly acidic cheese. Although Italian in origin, the name may come from the Spanish mas que bueno, "better than good". It's usually sold in tubs. Use it soon after you purchase it since it's highly perishable. Pronunciation: mas-car-POH-nay.
Substitutes for Mascarpone:
- Blend 8 ounces softened cream cheese with 1/4 cup whipping cream.
- Blend 8 ounces softened cream cheese with 1/4 cup butter and 1/4 cup cream.
- Blend 8 ounces softened cream cheese with 1/8 cup whipping cream and 1/8 cup sour cream.
- Whip ricotta cheese in a blender until smooth (lowest fat option).
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): Calories: 140; Total Fat: 7g; Saturated Fat: 4g; Cholesterol: 20mg; Total Carbs: 20g; Fiber: 3g; Protein: 2g; Sodium: 10mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of ZESPRI™ Kiwifruit.