Lemonberry Saxon Pudding
Creamy, sweet-tart lemon custards served in a pool of strawberry sauce.
1 cup granulated sugar - divided use
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup cornstarch
6 large eggs, separated
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 (20-ounce) package frozen whole California strawberries
2 ounces amaretto (optional)
- Butter three*, 3-cup ovenproof molds or bowls; dust with sugar and set aside.
- In saucepan combine 1/2 cup of the sugar with milk, butter and lemon peel; heat to melt butter. Combine flour and cornstarch; stir into hot milk mixture just to blend (mixture may be lumpy). Pour into blender or food processor fitted with metal blade. With machine running, add eggs yolks, then lemon juice; whirl until smooth. Pour into mixing bowl; set aside.
- Beat egg whites and cream of tartar until foamy. Gradually add remaining sugar and beat to form soft peaks.
- Fold egg whites into milk mixture, spoon equal amounts into the prepared molds.
- Set molds in large pan and pour in hot water to a depth of 1-inch.
- Bake in 350°F (175°F) oven 25 to 30 minutes until lightly browned and set.
- Remove molds from water bath. Cool 5 minutes; loosen edges and invert onto large serving plate.
- Serve warm or chilled. Spoon some of the Strawberry Sauce around the puddings and pass remaining sauce separately.
- For Strawberry Sauce: Thaw strawberries. Rub through a sieve or strainer to remove seeds. Stir in honey and Amaretto, if desired. Chill. Makes about 1 1/2 cups.
Makes 6 servings.
*Six individual 12-ounce soufflé dishes or ovenproof molds may be substituted for the larger molds.
Recipe provided courtesy of California Strawberry Commission. ©2003 California Strawberry Commission. All rights reserved. Used with permission.