Lightest Lemon Soufflé
An elegant, light-as-air, melt-in-your-mouth lemon soufflé.
1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
1/3 cup lemon juice
2/3 cup granulated sugar - divided use
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
6 Large Chino Valley fresh eggs, separated
1 cup half-and-half
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Grate lemon peel. Juice lemons or use bottled lemon juice.
- Lightly butter 6 custard cups (1 1/4 to 1 1/2 cup size) and dust with granulated sugar.
- Melt butter over medium heat. Whisk in flour, egg yolks, half-and-half and 1/3 cup sugar. Stir constantly until mixture boils. Remove from heat and stir in rind and juice.
- Beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Add cream of tartar and 1/3 cup sugar, one tablespoon at a time until sugar is dissolved. Continue beating until egg whites form stiff peaks.
- Fold beaten egg whites, into yolk mixture until no streaks, remain. Spoon into custard cups.
- Bake 12 to 15 minutes. Serve warm.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of Chino Valley Ranchers.