Mascarpone Blue Cheese Crespelle
with Pan Roasted Honey Crisp Apple Jam
An elegant dessert for sophisticated palates created by Chef Kristine Subido.
6 honey crisp apples, peeled and diced
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup apple juice or cider
1 tablespoon champagne vinegar
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 large eggs, beaten
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and divided use, plus additional soft butter for baking pan
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons whole milk
1 1/2 cups Wisconsin Mascarpone Cheese
1/2 cup Wisconsin Virgin Pine Native Blue or other Wisconsin Blue Cheese
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
Powdered sugar for dusting
- For Apple Jam: Combine apples, sugar, juice and vinegar in 3-quart heavy saucepan; cook until apples start to break down. Reduce heat to low; cook until soft and mixture thickens, stirring occasionally, about 45 minutes. Keep warm.
- For Crespelle: In small bowl, whisk together the flour, eggs, 1 tablespoon melted butter and milk to form a smooth thin batter. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes. Heat small skillet or crêpe pan; brush lightly with butter. Pour scant 1/4 cup batter into pan, tilting and rotating pan to evenly cover bottom in thin layer. Cook about 30 seconds, until golden brown on bottom. Transfer crêpe to plate; cover loosely to keep warm. Repeat with remaining batter to yield 8 crêpes, placing waxed paper between crêpes.
- Final Preparation: Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In medium bowl, combine the Mascarpone, Blue Cheese and black pepper.
- Divide filling evenly among crêpes, spreading over and leaving 1/2 inch uncovered around edge. Fold crêpes into quarters to form triangles.
- Heat remaining 2 tablespoons butter in large heavy sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add crêpes in batches, browning on both sides. Place in buttered baking dish and warm in oven 3 to 5 minutes.
- Plate 2 crespelle on each plate. Top with apple jam and dust with powdered sugar. Reserve leftover apple jam for additional servings.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.