Mascarpone Lemon Kiwi Torte
Lemony lush and light-as-a-feather, this scrumptious cheesecake-like torte is garnished with lovely slices of kiwifruit.
1 cup granulated sugar
Zest and 1/3 cup juice of 2 lemons
1/2 cup butter
2 egg yolks, beaten
1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin, softened in 2 tablespoons water
1 cup (8 ounces) Wisconsin Mascarpone cheese, slightly softened
2 kiwi, peeled and sliced
1 (10 1/2-inch) prepared sponge cake*
- In a 2-quart saucepan, combine sugar, lemon zest and juice, and butter. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until almost boiling. Remove from heat.
- Stir 1 cup hot lemon mixture into the beaten egg yolks, stirring vigorously. Return egg mixture to pan. Over medium-low heat, cook until mixture becomes very thick, about 15 minutes, whisking continuously—do not boil.
- Add softened gelatin and stir until completely dissolved.
- Pour lemon mixture into a large bowl to cool. When cooled, but not set, whisk mascarpone cheese into the lemon mixture.
- Pour lemon mixture into the center of the sponge cake and spread evenly to edge. Cover and refrigerate several hours. Just before serving, garnish with kiwi slices and cut into wedges.
Makes 8 to 12 servings.
*Can be substituted with your favorite sponge cake which can be made in an angel food or Mary Ann cake pan. (Mary Ann cake pans can be found in specialty cookware stores.)
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.