Meringue-Topped Pineapple Rice Pudding
Creamy pineapple rice pudding topped with a golden meringue and dollops of red currant jelly.
3 cups cooked rice
4 cups milk - divided use
3/4 cup granulated sugar - divided use
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 large eggs, separated
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract - divided use
1 (20-ounce) can pineapple chunks, drained and quartered
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
Red currant or raspberry jelly
- Combine rice, 3 cups milk, 1/4 cup sugar and salt. Cook over medium heat until thick and creamy, about 30 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Beat egg yolks; add remaining 1 cup milk and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Stir into rice mixture. Cook about 2 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in pineapple.
- Pour into buttered shallow 2-quart baking dish.
- Beat egg whites until foamy; gradually add 1/2 cup sugar, cream of tartar and remaining 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Beat until stiff but not dry. Swirl lightly on pudding.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 400°F (205°C); for about 5 minutes.
- Top with dollops of red currant jelly. Serve warm or cold.
Makes 8 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of the USA Rice Federation.