A traditional Norwegian holiday cream pudding made with sour cream.
2 cups sour cream
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup cold water
1 1/2 cups milk, warmed
2 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- In a large, heavy saucepan whisk together sour cream and 1/2 cup water. Cook over medium-low heat, whisking constantly for about 15 minutes. Remove from heat; set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour and salt. Gradually whisk in 1 cup cold water until smooth; then whisk flour mixture into sour cream. Return to heat and cook until thick and bubbly, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Gradually whisk in 1 1/2 cups warm milk, stirring constantly to reach the consistency of a thick white sauce.
- Pour into shallow glass bowls and dot with butter.
- Combine sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle over top of pudding.
- Serve warm, with additional butter and cinnamon sugar, if desired.
Makes 8 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.