Nutty Pistachio Ice Cream
What's better than homemade vanilla ice cream? Homemade vanilla ice cream studded with pistachios!
1 cup half-and-half
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 large egg yolks, beaten
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 cups heavy cream
1 cup blanched, natural California pistachios, chopped
1 tablespoon finely grated orange peel
- Heat half-and-half in saucepan; stir in sugar and salt.
- Pour a small amount of hot half-and-half into egg yolks, stirring constantly.
- Return yolk mixture to half-and-half; cook and stir over medium heat about 5 to 10 minutes or until thickened and creamy. Do not boil. Cool.
- Stir in vanilla and heavy cream. Chill.
- Pour into freezer container; follow manufacturer's directions for freezing. Add pistachios and orange peel when almost frozen; freeze until firm. Allow ice cream to stand at least 2 hours in refrigerator-freezer to mellow flavors.
Makes 1 1/4 quarts.
Blanching Process: Drop shelled nuts into boiling water, remove from heat and let them soak for about one minute. Drain and rub the pistachios with a clean kitchen towel. To dry, spread on a large baking sheet in an oven preheated to 300°F (150°C) for 10 to 15 minutes.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of the California Pistachio Commission.