This bright and festive, milk-free orange and spice custard dessert has a healthy secret—sweet potatoes!
2 pounds sweet potatoes
1/2 cup orange juice
1 cup water
3 cups granulated sugar
2 (3-inch) cinnamon sticks
4 large egg yolks, beaten
1/4 cup golden raisins, chopped
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1 tablespoon grated orange peel
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a saucepan, cook sweet potatoes in boiling salted water until tender. Drain and allow to cool to room temperature. Peel and mash or purée until smooth.
- In medium saucepan, combine orange juice, water, sugar and cinnamon sticks. Bring to boil; reduce heat to medium and cook until mixture coats the back of a spoon, about 7 minutes. Remove from heat. Remove and discard cinnamon sticks.
- In large saucepan, gradually blend syrup into mashed sweet potatoes. Cook over medium heat, stirring until mixture pulls away from the sides of the pan. Blend 1/2 cup mixture into egg yolks; blend into mixture in saucepan. Add remaining ingredients. Cook, stirring for 5 minutes.
- Spoon into serving dishes. Chill until ready to serve.
- If desired, garnish with non-dairy whipped topping or whipped cream and toasted almonds and mint leaves.
Makes 4 servings.
Variation: In saucepan, blend 1 (3-ounce) package vanilla pudding and pie filling, 1 tablespoon instant coffee and 3 cups milk. Cook according to package directions. Serve warm or chilled over sweet potato pudding
Recipe and photograph courtesy of North Carolina Sweetpotato Commission.