Peach Cherry Ice Cream
There's just something about the quintessential summertime treat—homemade ice cream—like the anticipation of that golden moment when it's finally ready to be served. This luscious peach and sweet cherry version will simply intensify that moment.
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
2 (0.25-ounce) envelopes unflavored gelatin
1/8 teaspoon salt
8 cups half-and-half or light cream - divided use
3 cups (2 pounds) peeled, mashed fully ripe peaches
2 cups fresh dark sweet cherries, pitted and finely chopped
1/4 teaspoon ground mace
2 large eggs, beaten
4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a large saucepan, combine sugar, gelatin, and salt. Stir in half of light cream or half-and-half. Cook and stir over medium heat until the mixture almost boils and sugar dissolves.
- Add peaches, cherries and mace. Mix until smooth.
- Stir about 1 cup of hot mixture into beaten eggs; return mixture to the saucepan. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Cool.
- Stir in remaining cream and vanilla.
- Freeze in a 4 or 5 quart ice cream freezer according to manufacturer's directions.
Makes 24 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.