Peaches and Cream Torte
Fresh sliced peaches and sweetened whipped cream fill and top this cake-mix easy torte.
1 (9-ounce) package yellow cake mix*
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
Dash of salt
3/4 cup milk
2 large eggs, beaten
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup peach preserves, melted
3 cups pitted and sliced Washington peaches
Whipped cream for accompaniment (optional)
- Prepare yellow cake batter according to package directions. Pour into greased 9-inch tart pan. Bake in a preheated oven at 325°F (160°C) 25 to 30 minutes or until wooden pick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes in pan; invert onto rack and cool completely.
- For Creamy Filling: Combine sugar, cornstarch and salt in medium saucepan. Stir in milk. Cook and stir over medium to low heat until mixture comes to a boil and thickens. Stir small amount of hot mixture into the 2 beaten eggs; mix well and slowly pour egg mixture into hot mixture. Cook and stir over low heat until mixture thickens. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Cool; cover surface with plastic wrap or waxed paper to prevent skin from forming on top. Makes 1 cup.
- Spread Creamy Filling on cooled cake. Arrange peach slices on top of filling.
- For Glaze: Heat 1/2 cup peach preserves until melted; strain to remove fruit. Makes 1/4 cup.
- Spoon Glaze and pipe whipped cream along outer edge of torte, if desired.
Makes 8 servings.
*Or, you may use half of an 18.2-ounce packaged cake mix. Follow package directions for mixing batter.
Recipe provided courtesy of Washington State Fruit Commission.