Pineapple Rice Delight
Fluffy pineapple and rice custard, topped with coconut and served with a simple brown sugar-sweetened pineapple sauce.
3 cups cooked rice
3 cups milk - divided use
1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar - divided use
2 tablespoons butter or margarine - divided use
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 large eggs, separated
1 (20-ounce) can crushed pineapple packed in juice - drain and reserve juice
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract - divided use
1/2 cup sweetened flaked coconut
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- Combine rice, 2 1/2 cups milk, 1/3 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon butter and salt in 2-quart saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until thick and creamy, about 20 minutes.
- Beat egg yolks and remaining 1/2 cup milk together; add to rice mixture and cook an additional minute. Remove from heat and add pineapple and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Cool.
- Beat egg whites and remaining 2 tablespoons sugar until peaks are stiff but not dry. Fold into cooled rice and turn into buttered 13x9x2-inch baking dish. Sprinkle with coconut.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 325°F (160°F) for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine reserved juice with cornstarch in 1-quart saucepan. Stir to dissolve cornstarch. Add remaining 1 tablespoon butter, brown sugar and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring frequently, until clear and thickened. Add remaining 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Spoon over warm or chilled pudding.
Makes 8 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of the USA Rice Federation.