Pineapple Rice Pudding
Creamy, baked pineapple and rice custard topped with coconut.
3 cups cooked rice
3 cups milk
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon butter or margarine
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 large eggs, separated
1 (15.25-ounce) can crushed pineapple
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- Combine rice, milk, sugar, butter and salt in saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until thick and creamy, about 25 minutes.
- Beat egg yolks; blend a little rice mixture into yolks. Stir all into rice mixture and cook an additional minute. Remove from heat and add pineapple and cinnamon. Cool.
- Beat egg whites until stiff but not dry. Fold into cooled rice mixture.
- Turn into greased 9-inch square baking pan. Top with coconut.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 325°F (160°F) for 25 minutes.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of the USA Rice Federation.