Plum Walnut Tart
A rich walnut crust is the perfect complement to the spiced, lemon-kissed plum filling in this lattice-topped tart.
6 tablespoons butter, softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
1/4 cup ground walnuts
1 teaspoon finely grated lemon peel
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 pounds plums, pitted and cut in sixths
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons finely ground walnuts
1 tablespoon powdered sugar
Lightly sweetened whipped cream for accompaniment (optional)
- For Crust: In a large mixing bowl, cream butter. Add the sugar and mix until smooth. Add egg, egg yolk, walnuts, lemon peel and cinnamon; mix well.
- Sift together flour and baking powder. Add to eggs and mix to form a smooth dough. Refrigerate until firm, 1 to 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Butter and flour a 9-inch cake pan.
- Roll half the dough into a circle and fit it into the bottom and sides of pan.
- For Filling: Mix plums with sugar, flour and walnuts; pour into pastry-lined pan.
- Roll out remaining dough and cut into 1/2-inch wide strips. Arrange them over the top of the tart to make a lattice top. Trim edges.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, until crust is brown. Turn out of pan when cool and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- Serve with lightly sweetened whipped cream, if desired.
Makes 8 servings.