This is not your typical flan—this smooth custard has a shortbread crust with a fresh raspberry glaze.
3/4 cup butter
1/3 cup powdered sugar
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
4 large egg yolks
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups milk
1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
1 teaspon vanilla extract
Raspberries and Glaze:
2 cups fresh raspberries
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/3 cup orange juice
1/2 cup red currant jelly
- For Shortbread Crust: Combine ingredients to make a soft dough.
- Pat into a 10-inch quiche, fluted or springform pan. Prick well.
- Bake in a 350°F (175°C) oven for 15 to 20 minutes. Cool.
- For Custard Layer: Combine egg yolks, sugar and flour in a heavy saucepan, stir in milk.
- Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly until mixture thickens and boils.
- Remove from heat; add lemon rind and vanilla. Cool slightly and spread filling in flan shell.
- For Raspberries and Glaze: Spread raspberries evenly over custard.
- Combine and cook glaze ingredients over medium heat until thick and clear. Spoon over raspberries. Chill and serve.
Makes 8 to 10 servings.