If you don't own a special trifle dish, use a clear, decorative glass bowl, such as a small punch bowl, for an elegant presentation of this lovely dessert.
1 (10.75-ounce) loaf frozen pound cake
11/2 cups heavy cream
3/4 cups granulated sugar
2 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
2 teaspoons lemon juice
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 (10-ounce) packages frozen sweetened raspberries, thawed
2 tablespoons baking cocoa powder
Fresh raspberries for garnish (optional)
- Slice cake into 18 to 20 slices about 1/2-inch thick; set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, beat cream with 1/4 cup sugar until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
- In another bowl, beat cream cheese, lemon juice, vanilla and the remaining sugar. Fold in 2 cups of the whipped cream; set remaining whipped cream aside for topping.
- Drain raspberries, reserving juice; set berries aside.
- Line the bottom of a 3-quart glass bowl with a third of the cake slices.
- Drizzle with some of the raspberry juice. Spread with 1/4 of the cream cheese mixture. Sift 1/4 of the cocoa over the top. Sprinkle with 1/3 of the berries. Repeat layers twice.
- Top with the remaining cream cheese mixture, whipped cream and sifted cocoa. Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight. Garnish with fresh raspberries just before serving, if desired.
Makes 12 to 15 servings.