Rice Apple Crisp
Wholesome rice adds a toothsome texture to the tender, cinnamon-apple filling baked beneath a crisp crumble topping.
5 apples, pared, cored, and sliced
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 cups cooked rice
1 cup packed brown sugar - divided use
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
6 tablespoons butter or margarine
1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)
- Combine apples and lemon juice in saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, 5 minutes or until apples are fork tender.
- Combine rice, apples, 1/2 cup sugar, cinnamon and salt in buttered shallow baking dish.
- Mix flour and remaining 1/2 cup sugar. Cut in butter until mixture is crumbly. Stir in nuts, if desired. Sprinkle over rice mixture.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°F) for 30 minutes.
- Serve warm topped with whipped cream or ice cream, if desired.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of the USA Rice Federation.