Rice Crème Brûlée
Satiny rice custard with a crisp caramelized sugar top, which when tapped with the back of a dessert spoon, shatters like glass, revealing cool, vanilla rice custard hidden below. An elegant gluten-free dessert.
2 cups cooked rice
3 cups milk
1 1/2 cups light cream
1/2 cup granulated sugar
9 large egg yolks
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- Divide rice evenly in individual au gratin baking dishes or ramekins*.
- Scald milk and cream, but Do Not Boil. Add sugar and stir to dissolve.
- Beat egg yolks until light in color; add extracts and salt. Stir hot milk gradually into egg mixture. Pour over rice; stir. The custard should be about 1 1/2-inches deep. Place dishes in large pan; pour hot water around individual baking dishes.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 300°F (150°C) for 1 hour or until knife inserted near center of custard comes out clean. Cool; then chill thoroughly.
- Sprinkle with brown sugar. Place under the broiler for a few minutes or just until sugar melts and runs together.
- Serve immediately or chill again and serve cold.
Makes 8 servings.
*If desired place mixture in 7 1/2 x 12 x 3-inch baking dish. Bake in hot water bath as directed above.
Recipe provided courtesy of the USA Rice Federation.