Spirited and creamy, citrus-scented rice pudding studded with raisins and spiked with dark rum. A gluten-free dessert.
3 cups milk
1 large stick cinnamon
1 cup uncooked rice
2 cups water
1/2 teaspoon salt
Peel of an orange or lemon
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup raisins
2 tablespoons dark rum
- Heat milk and cinnamon in small saucepan over medium heat until milk infused with flavor of cinnamon, about 15 minutes.
- Combine rice, water and salt in 2 to 3-quart saucepan. Bring to a boil; stir once or twice. Place orange peel on top of rice. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 15 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed. Remove and discard orange peel.
- Strain milk and stir into cooked rice. Add sugar and simmer 20 minutes or until thickened, stirring often.
- Add raisins and rum; simmer 10 minutes. Serve hot.
- To reheat, add a little milk to restore creamy texture.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of the USA Rice Federation.