Although the name implies this dessert to be a version of the classic, French clafouti, it's actually done in reverse order with the fruit layered on top of the batter rather than beneath. It works out beautifully.
1 tablespoon butter or margarine
1 cup milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2/3 cup granulated sugar - divided use
3 large eggs
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 tart apple, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
3 cups whole frozen California strawberries (about 12 ounces)
Lightly sweetened whipped cream
- In 10-inch pie plate, melt butter in 350°F (175°C) oven.
- Meanwhile, measure milk, vanilla, 1/3 cup of the granulated sugar, the eggs, flour and salt, in order listed, in container of electric blender. Blend until smooth, scraping sides as needed.
- Remove pie plate from oven and tilt to coat bottom and sides with butter; immediately pour in egg mixture. Arrange apple slices on top of the batter; arrange strawberries on apple slices. Sprinkle evenly with the remaining 1/3 cup granulated sugar.
- Bake in center of oven about 55 minutes until edges are browned and crisp. Cool on rack 10 to 15 minutes.
- Dust with powdered sugar. Serve warm with a dollop of whipped cream.
Makes 6 servings
Recipe provided courtesy of California Strawberry Commission. ©2003 California Strawberry Commission. All rights reserved. Used with permission.