Strawberry Rhubarb Cobbler
Serve this old-fashioned springtime dessert warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
3/4 cup plus 1/3 cup sugar - divided use
1 tablespoon cornstarch
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 pound rhubarb, cut into 1 inch pieces
1 pint (2 cups) halved or quartered strawberries
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 stick (1/4 cup) butter, softened
1 large egg
1/4 cup buttermilk or whipping cream
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a large bowl, combine 3/4 cup sugar, cornstarch and 2 teaspoons cinnamon; mix well. Add rhubarb and strawberries; toss well and transfer the mixture to a buttered 11x7-inch baking dish or 1 1/2 quart shallow casserole dish.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- With an electric mixer, beat together butter and 1/3 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg. On low speed, beat in half of flour mixture. Beat in buttermilk, then remaining flour mixture.
- Drop batter by heaping tablespoonfuls into 8 mounds over fruit. If desired, sprinkle cinnamon-sugar topping over batter.
- Bake in a 375°F (190°C) oven 34 to 40 minutes or until fruit is bubbly and topping is golden brown. Transfer to a wire cooling rack. Let stand at least 40 minutes before serving.
- Serve warm or at room temperature with ice cream or whipped cream, if desired.
Makes 8 servings.