Strawberry Alaska No-Bake
For this no-bake version of the classic dessert, fluffy whipped cream visually mimics the meringue that is used to make a traditional Baked Alaska.
6 cups whole fresh California strawberries
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup orange-flavored liqueur
1 (11.5-ounce) frozen pound cake, defrosted
1 (7-ounce) can refrigerated whipped light cream
- Early in the day or the day before, prepare strawberry ice: in blender, whirl berries smooth. Add sugar and liqueur; whirl again to dissolve. Pour into a loaf pan (9 x 5 x 2 3/4-inches) and freeze until almost firm.
- Unmold strawberry ice onto serving plate by loosening along edges with knife; touch bottom of pan in hot water for 10 seconds. (If melting occurs, place dessert in freezer for 10 minutes.)
- Cut cake into 6 slices. Arrange cake slices evenly over strawberry ice. Return to freezer for at least one hour.
- Frost entire cake with whipped light cream.
- Return to freezer for an hour, or cut and serve at once.
Makes 8 servings.
- For ease in cutting remove from freezer 20 minutes before serving.
- Substitute: 2 (10-ounce each) packages frozen sliced California strawberries with sugar and omit 3/4 cup sugar. Thaw just enough to chop. Whirl in blender, and proceed as directed above.
Recipe provided courtesy of California Strawberry Commission. ©2003 California Strawberry Commission. All rights reserved. Used with permission.