Strawberry Apple Cobbler
Old fashioned strawberry and apple cobbler with a fluffy, whole wheat and oat drop-biscuit topping.
6 cups tart apples peeled, cored and sliced
3 cups California strawberries
1 cup apple juice (not concentrate)
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3 large egg whites
1/2 cup frozen apple juice concentrate-thawed
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/3 cup nonfat dry milk
1/3 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C).
- Whisk the apple and lemon juices with the cinnamon and 2 tablespoons flour.
- Place apples in an 11 x 9-inch baking dish. Pour the flour-juice mixture over the apples and put in oven for 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whip egg whites till soft peaks form. Add the thawed frozen apple juice concentrate and whip till they stand in stiff peaks.
- Mix together the whole wheat pastry flour, dry milk and rolled oats and gently fold in to the stiff egg whites. The batter will fall somewhat but do not over mix.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 350°F (175°F).
- When apples are baked, stir in the strawberries.
- Drop the batter by large spoonfuls over the fruit and bake an additional 25 minutes, or until browned. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of California Strawberry Commission. ©2003 California Strawberry Commission. All rights reserved. Used with permission.