Strawberry Chocolate Éclair Fantasy
All that makes a chocolate éclair so good—puff pastry, a luscious cream filling and rich semisweet chocolate—is found in this winner of a dessert topped with fluffy whipped cream and glazed strawberries.
Strawberry Chocolate Éclair Fantasy was a 1st Prize winning recipe in the Nestlé Toll House and Better Homes & Gardens Recipe Contest, and was submitted by Linda Morten of Katy, Texas.
3/4 cup water
6 tablespoons butter or margarine
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
3 large eggs
1 1/2 cups (9 ounces) NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels - divided use
3 tablespoons milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract - divided use
1 (8-ounce) package Neufchâtel (light cream cheese), softened
1/2 cup powdered sugar
15 large strawberries, hulled and tops trimmed level
1/3 cup seedless raspberry jam
1 3/4 cups frozen whipped topping, thawed
Powdered sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 450°F (230°C). Grease 9-inch pie plate.
- For Éclair Shell: Heat water and butter to a boil in small saucepan. Stir in flour and salt. Reduce heat to low; stir vigorously for 1 minute or until mixture forms a ball. Remove from heat. Cool for 2 to 3 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing thoroughly after each addition, until smooth. Spread evenly over bottom of prepared pie plate.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until sides puff up. Reduce heat to 350° F.; bake for an additional 10 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Press center down when cool.
- For Filling: Place 1 1/4 cups morsels and milk in medium, uncovered microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on HIGH (100%) power for 1 minute; STIR. Morsels may retain some of their shape. If necessary, microwave at additional 10- to 15-second intervals, stirring until smooth. Do not overheat. Stir in 1 teaspoon vanilla extract. Spread mixture evenly over bottom of éclair shell. Refrigerate until chocolate is firm.
- Beat cream cheese, sugar and remaining vanilla extract in small mixer bowl until smooth. Spread evenly over chocolate layer.
- Arrange strawberries on cheese layer with pointed sides up. Microwave jam in small, uncovered microwave-safe bowl on HIGH (100%) power for 30 seconds; stir. Brush jam over strawberries and drizzle between strawberries. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Pipe or dollop whipped topping between strawberries and éclair shell edge.
- Place remaining morsels in heavy-duty plastic bag. Microwave on HIGH (100%) power for 30 seconds; knead. Microwave at additional 10 to 15-second intervals, kneading until smooth. Cut small hole in corner of bag. Squeeze to drizzle over strawberries. Dust with powdered sugar.
- Serve immediately.
Makes 8 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/8 of recipe): Calories: 530; Calories from Fat: 270; Total Fat: 30 g; Saturated Fat: 19 g; Cholesterol: 125 mg; Sodium: 260 mg; Carbohydrates: 56 g; Dietary Fiber: 3 g; Sugars: 39 g; Protein: 8 g.
Recipe and photograph are the property of Nestlé® and Meals.com, used with permission.