Strawberry Coconut Cream
This delightful strawberry and coconut cream dessert is as lovely to look at as it is cool, creamy and delicious.
2 (0.25-ounce) envelopes unflavored gelatin
3 tablespoons water
2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
2 cups lowfat milk
2 pint baskets fresh California strawberries, stemmed
1 cup whipping cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
3 tablespoons toasted shredded coconut
- In small bowl combine gelatin and water; set aside.
- In medium saucepan combine 2 cups coconut and 1 1/2 cups of the milk. Bring just to boiling over medium heat. Add gelatin mixture; stir to dissolve gelatin completely. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Combine one basket of the strawberries and the remaining 1/2 cup milk in container of electric blender. Blend until smooth; set aside.
- In large bowl whip cream and vanilla to form soft peaks; add strawberry and coconut mixtures. Fold with rubber spatula to blend thoroughly. Pour into lightly oiled 5 cup mold. Cover and chill until firm, at least 4 hours.
- Meanwhile, slice the remaining strawberries and toss with sugar; cover and chill.
- To serve, dip mold briefly into hot water; invert onto serving plate to unmold. Sprinkle with toasted coconut. Garnish with some of the sliced strawberries and the mint. Serve with the remaining sliced strawberries.
Makes 6 to 8 servings
Recipe provided courtesy of California Strawberry Commission. ©2003 California Strawberry Commission. All rights reserved. Used with permission.